1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup shredded fontina cheese
salt to taste
blistered cherry tomatoes, optional
fried basil leaves, optional
4 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons Look Out Here I Come garlic olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dry polenta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- For white queso dip: Melt butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk milk into the roux and continue to whisk together until the mixture is smooth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Lightly season with salt.
- Remove from heat and stir in both shredded cheeses, a small handful at a time, waiting until the cheese melts before adding more.
- Continue to add cheese until all has been added and dip is smooth. Adjust seasonings. Set aside and keep warm (stirring 1 tablespoon hot milk, at a time, if dip gets too thick). When ready to serve, top with tomatoes and fried basil.
- For baked polenta chips: Pour water, oil and salt and a pot and place over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk in polenta.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer, whisking often, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan and whisk until thick, smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet and using an offset spatula, spread mixture into a very thin and even layer.
- Place baking sheet into the refrigerator and allow mixture to chill completely, about 2 hours.
- Once polenta has chilled, Preheat oven to 350˚F. Carefully slice polenta sheet into even, bite-sized triangles and transfer onto another baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper, 1/4 inch apart.
- Bake chips for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and barely golden brown.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with additional salt and allow chips to cool completely.
- Serve with warm mozzarella cheese dip.